Thursday, September 15, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to "Laid-Off." A blog by a cynical lady, floating through her twenties with no idea of what she wants to do and living off the state of California. <--Ah, thank you. Please hold all applause until the end.

No, that's all just jokes...well, except for the part about me being cynical. AND the part about me being in my twenties. Oh, and the part about me being unemployed and having NO idea what I want to do with my life. So, here I sit type-y typing this entry with an episode of 'Meet the Browns' on in the background. I'm sure if I were paying attention I'd want to change the channel, but as I've realized these past four months- daytime TV sucks. Although, if I were a big black man like Tyler Perry, maybe I'd have a better chance at being employed right now.

This all started when I got a taste of what I like to call "retirement." And yes, I did come up with that term on ma own, thanks for asking. I was in between jobs, but already had another lined up, so the month I had off was amazing. I tanned every day (I looked awesome and brown and about 6 years older than I really am) and read books and worked out. All I was missing was life on a yacht and actually knowing that I would never go back to work. That happened when I was 25. Too soon to retire you say? Then you must be my dad, and I know you're not, so lock it up.

I started my new job and quickly realized that working was definitely NOT for this girl. I did my best, and put in a lot of effort but I just didn't care. Didn't. Care. And when I say didn't care...I mean on Fridays I would take a two hour nap on my co-worker's couch. Then I'd take lunch after I was rested up. Also, one time I spent at least half of my day coloring. So...there you have it. They were lucky to have me. Oddly enough, I was promoted to a new team, given an awesome salary and a HUGE office. It was honestly like 'Office Space' where the less I cared the more they gave me. Then unlike that movie, they figured it out and laid my ass off. And here we are. Welcome to my life on unemployment!

I wanted to start this blog mainly because people keep telling me to write, but also because I seem to know a few secrets about Downtown San Diego that I wanted to share with everyone. I literally want the entire world to know these secrets- so listen up: If you check-in on Facebook while at Bubs in Downtown San Diego you get free tater-tots. If you check in on Yelp at Dragon's Den (again downtown) you get 20% off your entire bill. That's amazing savings for someone who gets an electronic payment once every two weeks! If you check in on Four-Square while at Red Pearl Kitchen you get a free app! Do it! Do it! Check-in, dummies!

Anyway- back to 'Meet the Browns' and "applying" for jobs. Hopefully someone digs my resume out of that big cyber garbage can that is Monster/Careerbuilder/Fins/ZipRecruiter and wants to hire me. Maybe I'll check on openings at the circus...or try to be my best friend's personal assistant. That actually sounds awesome- Imma call her now and tell her why I'd be the best candidate for her open position. Hopefully she wants to hire me (and doesn't require a stupid cover letter)!

2 comments:

  1. You can be my Disney assistant! Only requirement? Need to wear Minnie ears. Can't waittt for you to visit me! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these posts! We actually need a dog trainer for our fur child you encountered when you visited. Would exchange room and board for any Cezar-esque skills you might have up your sleeve. J

    ReplyDelete